Thursday, April 29, 2010

Our Loving Challenge

Our child is CHALLENGING.  Not that this is bad, but some days it makes me want to rip my hair out or sit on the floor and just cry.

Carson doesn't sleep and then he doesn't stop moving during the day.  Carson is full of energy and he's smart.  This all leads up to some pretty exhausting times.  Like today!

Although, how can we not love him for who he is!?  He is our goof ball, full of fun and joy.  We have never laughed so hard or worked so hard in all our lives.  Any bit of laziness I had before Carson came into our lives is gone.  I have been cured of idleness!  

I daily have to work on stretching my patience which is helping me to grow into an all-around better person.  Although some days it's hard not to want to yell..."just stop freaking moving so I can get your socks on!" 

Yet for how active Carson is, he is equally as great of a snuggler.  He will climb in my lap and just cuddle.  Gosh, I love that.  It also gives me the chance to just sit and catch my breath.


I know this time is flying by.  It already has been.  It felt like just yesterday when I was holding my tiny little newborn and now I can barely pick that same boy up!  That has been emotionally difficult...I can barely pick my boy up.  Holding him for long periods of time starts to physically hurt.  It makes me sad that those days might be over sooner than I was expecting.  Thank goodness for the Ergo!  That carrier is the only reason I can still bounce him to sleep when need be or carry him around a store while he's sleeping. 

Carson has challenged our preconceived notions of what parenthood was supposed to be like.  He was supposed to fit into our box and really, Carson wouldn't fit into anyone's box.  We have had to devise new plans to meet his needs and rid ourselves of narrow mindedness.  We have had to rise to the occasion of each of his developmental stages.  I am excited to see what kind of man he grows up to be!

I hope he knows how much I appreciate and love this time with him.  No matter what exhausting challenge he presents us with each day, it is an honor to be his parents and we couldn't imagine life without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment