Sunday, April 11, 2010

Routine

Routine and structure are something I value. My thought is that it is an innate desire for us all to have structure. God designed life with structure, the sun comes up, the sun goes down. Unless you live in Alaska, that is something you can expect. Expectations help relieve stress, we know what's going to happen, and can prepare for it. Sometimes, a break from the routine can be fun, but a life filled with unorganized chaos can wreak havoc on health & home.

For the last few months, we have had a lack of routine. Mostly because our schedule has not allowed for one and also because I have been too stressed to frankly give a darn. Well it's made a big difference. We're beginning to substantially feel the effects of chaotic living. We're all ready to rip our hair out. Thankfully, we received a break in the form of an employee helping in the mornings at the Adult Family Home instead of me. The change in schedule will be starting this week. This will give me the ability to bring routine & structure back to our lives. I'm hoping this will benefit everyone, including Josh, even though I know he'll miss me at the AFH in the mornings.

So I finally get to plan a routine and this time it will be more realistic! Every time I plan one, I set lofty goals. So this time I decided, why not create a routine that I can actually follow! Silly me, why didn't I think of this before!?

I'm not a fan of rigid schedules. My times are flexible. The idea is that Carson can expect the same thing each day which will hopefully create a more peaceful environment. I'm also planning our routine around Carson's natural inclination for wake, nap, outdoor, and bed time. I don't want to fight his natural biological clock. That would just be creating extra work and frustration for both of us.

So this is our brand new daily routine:

6:30-7:30ish: When Carson wakes up, get him ready for the day and then breakfast.

8:30ish: Interactive play/reading time with Carson. Quick clean up of house. Mommy hops in shower and can hopefully get ready for the day ;).

11:00ish: Lunch and then down for a nap.  This is also a time that Mommy gets to relax and have some personal time (if not napping with Carson and catching up on sleep, then this is usually when I get my Bible time in)

12:30-1ish:  When Carson wakes up, it's time to get any errands done for the day and if no errands then off to the adult family home to help Dad. 

3ish: Back home to accomplish any daily chores and outdoor time for Carson (If weather permits)

4:30: Start dinner & quick clean up of house
5:30: Daddy gets home!
6-6:30ish: Dinner & then clean up
7pm: Family time. This is our time for devotionals or we all get on the floor and play with Carson.

8pm: Carson to bed!
8:15pm: Finally some relax time! Then to bed myself to start all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment