Thursday, May 27, 2010

Contentment

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."  (Philippians 4:11-13)


I love this message from Paul.  These verses really hit me this last week because of the changes presently going on in our life.  It gave me a new perspective on our move.  The stress and anxiety relating to leaving our first home that we have invested our lives in and moving to a basement bedroom has really vanished.  I am truly excited about this new life adventure. God has been leading us in this whole process.  He brought the perfect renters to our lives and created the perfect timing for us to move.  He even provided a place for us to move to in our new home and that was something that was creating a lot of stress and worry.  We have never felt God's hands in our lives more than now.  It's so strong that we feel we haven't even had a choice.  Things just keep happening and we just have to follow along with it.  God has been our provider through it all.  Then He gave me this verse to give us something we had been lacking, contentment.  Paul said whatever the circumstances, he learned to be content.  This wasn't something that happened to him.  He took an active role in the perspective of his life.  He chose to be content regardless of his life situation.  God knew that this was exactly what I needed to hear during this time.  It has given me peace to let go of our home because I will have contentment in our new home, regardless of the circumstance.  This also extends passed our present circumstances.  Regardless of what happens in the future, I have a new perspective on contentment.  Only I have the power to be content.  Just as only I have the power to be happy.  Nothing can take that away or cause it to happen and if something does "cause" me to be happy it is only temporary, it is only a superficial cause that will fade.  However, I can chose to be content and have joy no matter where we are living, the size of home we are living in, how our finances are doing, and what we are eating for dinner.  These things do not matter because I can do everything through Him who gives me strength, including changing my attitude on life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment